5939Re: don't compare first and third world

  • prometeus57
    Jun 10, 2003
      > Your point is self-sufficiency, so I would tend to agree, though
      > there are many primitive cultures that are completely sustainable
      > and self-sufficient. And yes, their numbers are decreasing every
      > year as we attempt to 'civilize' them.

      You mean, as we DO civilize them.

      The noble savage is a myth and a delusion. North American autochtones
      were brutish, nasty and completely uncivilized by any objective
      standard. Australian aborigines killed and ate their own babies while
      living their lives in a schizophrenic dreamworld. Indians raped their
      own daughters; "If a girl is a virgin, then it's because she has no
      father nor brothers." and this universally accepted fact was
      publically used to justify the institutional rape that is
      child-brides. And African mothers cut off the clits of their own
      daughters even to the present day!

      The primitive cultures are characterized by misogyny, slavery,
      brutality, misery, squalor, and superstitious fear. The Western
      cultures are automatically superior to the savages' since it takes a
      certain degree of sanity to concern oneself with the real world,
      investigate it, and develop the extensive technologies to control it
      as we have done. Of course, it doesn't take that much sanity, as
      should be obvious to any dispassionate observer of either the USA and
      Japan. So even though being industrialized doesn't guarantee sanity
      (the Victorians certainly weren't), being primitive all but
      guarantees insanity.

      You may choose to order your life and beliefs according to the
      anti-scientific precepts of cultural relativism, but most people do
      not. And shoving your provincial delusions in their face isn't going
      to win you any friends or allies. In fact, since people value social
      justice far above ecological sustainability (because the former is an
      immediate concern, while the latter isn't), your eco-freak stance
      ("sustainability" is the only thing worth consideration) alone is
      enough to put other people off.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic