      From: Will <v_stewart@...>
      To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 2:48 AM
      Subject: [carfree_cities] Re: Urban automobile cost per mile

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Jason Davies <jason@o...> wrote:

      > I was talking about how much it costs to get
      > around by bike: having to eat extra is part of that cost, and I *do* eat
      > more, because I go through periods of not cycling much, then cycling
      quite
      > a lot, and the amount I eat varies accordingly.

      I see at least 3 aspects to this;

      - Most people in the US eat too much anyway, so if they started
      bicycling, they would likely moderate their appetite and eat less.

      - If they did so, they could save money by not having a gym expense
      that they likely do not use anyway.

      - The cost of an extra side at a meal is insignificant to the
      $0.36/mile cost of operating the automobile.

      The whole point is; What it the big picture?

      Will Stewart