5607Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Re: Urban automobile cost per mile

  • Jason Davies
    Feb 28, 2003
      >In any case the calories per se cost virtually nothing: 100 gramms of
      >cheep oil or butter (=900 calories) may keep you biking for at least
      >1-2 hours (you can count better than me the traveled distance during
      >this time). What you pay for when you buy food, is more the taste and
      >the eating enjoyment than the calories that contains. The possibility
      >to extend this enjoyment may represent more a positive value than a
      >negative cost.

      sorry, I don't fancy eating cheap butter in large quantities. The simple
      fact is that if I cycle into London (11 miles) rather than get the train, I
      have to pay more for food. Whichever way you look at it, that's part of the
      cost that should be considered. I am talking about simple cash outlays that
      have to be budgeted for. I don't really see any way round it. You're
      talking about whether it is worth it, which is a completely different
      conversation.
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic