5514Re: [carfree_cities] Re: bike racks AND Hydrogen-fueled Cars

    Feb 5 3:07 PM
      >I would feel more rosey about the 'white bike' system though if I hear
      >that you have a right to leave it at a destination; specifically
      >which, without or with a lock on it, until you head back to the
      >transit station?

      I'm not sure. I think different implementations are different. I
      know that the current Amsterdam trial involved unlocking a bike
      by inserting a smart-card in a slot. You have to re-lock the bike
      upon arrival. It all sounds like a nuisance to me, and some people
      will resist allowing their movements to be traced by their smart-card
      activity. I have the idea that the Copenhagen system is much simpler;
      find a bike, use it, walk away. I suppose some effort will be required
      to make sure that bikes are located where they're needed. Copenhagen
      is financed by advertising, so there may be some money to do this.

      Is there anybody who would like to research this and write something
      for Carfree Times?

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities