5508Re: Should bike racks be placed on public transit vehicles?

  • tomvolckhausen <tom.w.volckhausen@seagat
    Feb 5, 2003
      In the Denver metro area, bikes on buses works very well. The
      regional transit buses allow bikes in the underseat luggage bins.
      That's how I got to work today, since the nearest bus stop is about 5
      miles from my job, and the roads were too snowy/icy to feel safe on
      the shoulder of a 65 mph 4 lane. I have seen as many as 20 bikes on a
      bus, although they were recreational mtn bikers catching a ride up
      the
      canyon.
      Although I occasionally use the front mounted racks on the local
      buses, they do fill up. Allowing overflow bikes inside the bus in
      the
      rarely used wheel chair area would fix this (wheelchairs would still
      have priority of course). In a true carfree city, heavy transit use
      might make bikes and buses harder, tho as a mechanical engineer I
      could design much higher capacity external racks. In real-life
      sprawling US cities, the bike/bus combo extends coverage area greatly
      and I see people using it everyday.

      On another note, although I personally expect and hope for increased
      gas prices, I agree with JH that car-dependency could continue for a
      long time despite them. Many people still choose to drive in Europe,
      with gas prices 3-4X US. 80 Mpg hybrids are feasible today, so if gas
      prices increase 4X, a 4X increase in Mpg from the ~20 Mpg fleet
      average currently would leave motorist cost unchanged.

      OTOH, the shocks to the insanely oil-dependent US economy resulting
      from increased prices might eventually leave many unable to afford
      driving. Not the happiest way to the carfree city.
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic