5503Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Should bike racks be placed on public transit vehicles?

    Feb 5, 2003
      Hi All,

      There's another, much simpler appoach to this problem,
      which is the use of "white bikes," loaner bikes that you
      "drag and drop." You'd ride your own bike to the transit
      halt, lock up your bike, ride to close to your destination,
      grab a white bike, and pedal there. These systems have
      been tried, successfully, in Copenhagen and unsuccessfully
      in Amsterdam (theft problems in the first attempt 35 years
      ago, equipment troubles with a recent revival).

      IMHO, it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to accommodate
      bikes on buses. It's an operational problem (delays while
      people mount and remove their bikes) and there's no reasonable
      solution to the problem of inadequate space for bikes if more
      than two people want to use them. We can't have city buses
      delayed for several minutes while bikes are being handled.
      With metros (and possibly trams), it would be possible to
      dedicate one car of the train to wheeled vehicles generally,
      arranged for direct roll-on, roll-off loading/unloading.
      I just don't think it works very well with buses, and the
      systems I've seen rarely appear to be used.

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic