5502Re: Should bike racks be placed on public transit vehicles?

  • paulparma <info@venetianpassage.com>
    Feb 5 6:30 AM
      The bring it on board accomodations, more easily provided by rolling
      stock than buses can be a good system. The limited rack system can't
      be successful I think and here's why.

      first stateing, or rather restateing, the obvious. Buses have to run
      long routes in order to pickup sufficient number of riders in our
      cities' low density. also, the distance between the routes except
      near large transfer centers is usually further than most would care to
      or have time to walk and this distance is due to limitted money to
      subsidize the system with more money losing routes. Alos the headway
      between buses on a single route is very long also due to the low
      density need for ridership per bus.

      All this just highlights the reasons that buses in combo with bikes is
      better than just using the bus, at least it could be better.
      Unfortunately, several times in the last two weeks, I was left at a
      stop though I had intended to board, because there were allready two
      bikes on the rack. In Austin, the racks only hold two bikes. So I
      had to decide wheter I would postpone my plans or ride to another
      route, head on to my finall very far flung destination on my bike and
      arrive late or wait another 35 minutes and take my chances with the
      next bus on that routes and be late or a no show. Is this the way to
      run a railroad? Am I not worhty as a citizen to be on time to my
      appointments due to my not choosing or being able to afford a car?

      How could a system where the saturation point of a particular
      otherwise more practical transmodal ridership group is limited to two
      (or threee or even four) of the 32 to 60 seats on the bus?

      Paul Parma
      www.venetianpassage.com/private.html
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic