5006Mr. Nosegay and Mr. Alexander

  • kingsleyst
    Sep 2, 2002
      I came across this comic, from a 1871 edition of "Harper's
      Weekly". It decries the growth of the suburbs, too, but in a way
      that's depreciative of trains rather than cars. That seems to run
      antithetically to Alexander's opinion that a heirarchy of towns is
      needed for a functional society (Pattern 2). In any case, here is
      the 131 year old illustration:

      Hurrying for the Train
      http://www.nytimes.com/learning/general/onthisday/harp/0902.html

      And for those who cannot afford to pay for a $60 copy of "A Pattern
      Language", it can be found online for free at

      http://www.patternlanguage.com/leveltwo/patternsframegreen.htm?/levelt
      wo/../apl/twopanelnlb.htm

      Because it is free, I think that a contribution might be in order.

      --Rob