4830Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Americans want to live in big homes in the exurbs?!

    Jun 10, 2002
      dubluth wrote:

      > Living area may fall
      > short in the reference design as compared to respondent's desired and
      > actual homes. The single family occupying a small narrow building
      > described on page 169 will have floor space of 1,560 to 2,400 square
      > feet if the home consists of all four floors.

      When i was recently in Manhattan, I read or heard a story about a family
      who wanted to biuld a three-story addition to their house in their
      portion of the interior courtyard, which most Manhattan four-stroy
      blocks have. His neighbors were irritated, as it would block off light
      and air and reduce teh parklike feeling of the courtyard. One neighbor,
      who lived in a house of the same plan, commented, "He's got 14 rooms and
      six bathrooms just like me...why does he need a three-story addition?"

      High density housing need not be cramped.

      Of course these are expensive digs, but the FAR and density are much
      higher than in neighborhoods of similar economic level in Beverly
      Hills. And there are trees and greenery.

      Rick
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic