4796Re: Neal Peirce's column today

  • demiurge1978
    Jun 3, 2002
      I love it. This article succinctly describes all the benefits of
      urban life; for young and old.

      Ironically, the suburbs of Paris were notorious for the delinquency
      and disaffection of it's youth. Is it still the case today?

      -Alex V.

      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...> wrote:

      > Very interesting column:
      >

      > NEAL PEIRCE COLUMN
      > For Release Sunday, June 2, 2002
      >

      > © 2002 Washington Post Writers Group
      >
      > PARISIAN GREEN:
      > A HINT FOR US
      >
      > By Neal R. Peirce
      >
      > PARIS -- We're living in an ever-more-crowded world – the
      population of the U.S. alone is set to soar by 60 million by 2025.
      How do we learn to eschew sprawl, to share scarce space -- and like
      the result?
      > For a hint, walk the streets of some of Paris' choicest
      neighborhoods -- located at the city's heart and home to well-to-do,
      even very wealthy families. This is apartment heaven -- block after
      block of cut-stone, often elegant six-or seven-story buildings. At a
      glance, most Americans would turn up their noses at such dense
      living -- no ramblers or McMansions, no driveways, no grassy front
      yards. And quantities of people living above, below, left and right
      of one.
      > But take another look, counsels my friend Stanhope Browne,
      talented Philadelphia lawyer and civic leader. With his wife Libby,
      an experienced tour leader, Browne is spending three retirement years
      enjoying some of the world's greatest cuisine and culture, living in
      a Parisian apartment, and observing.
      > The Brownes' revelation starts with Paris' great green
      secret. Knowingly, they push the entrance buttons of selected
      apartment buildings in the upscale Left Bank 7th "arrondisement"
      where they live. Many doorways spring open. One walks through to
      discover the interior of apartment block made into verdant oases,
      with grass, bushes, ivy-climbing high trellises, benches, walkways.
      Apartment living is not all stone and concrete after all!
      > An aerial view from one of the few high-rises near the
      center of Paris reveals the same patches of green in the center of
      block after block, matching the verdant lines of meticulously groomed
      trees along many of the city's chief boulevards and grand parks.
      > French nobility first set this style, within gardens inside
      their expansive palaces within the city. Nobility's early
      inspiration, notes Browne, "has inspired 19th and 20th century
      architects to create equally delightful spaces for less exalted
      dwelling places." A companion model: townhouses or apartments
      surrounding delightful urban parks; a prime example is the Place des
      Vosges in the Marais district, first designed for King Henri IV in
      1612 as a place for royal spectacles and celebrations.
      > Can Parisian urbanity speak to America -- to our pioner,
      open-space loving souls? It's not an easy fit. Though
      providentially, the U.S.A does have a new initiative called Community
      Greens: Shared Parks in Urban Blocks (www.communitygreens.org).
      Charleston Mayor Joseph Riley, veteran and revered leader for more
      urbane, livable cities, is a chief supporter.
      > Community Green's mission has a peculiarly American ring --
      to support any and all kinds of parks, tucked into residential areas,
      that are collectively owned and managed by the neighbors whose homes
      and backyards, decks, patios and balconies enclose the green.
      > A prime example: Montgomery Park, a third of an acre
      backyard green oasis shared by 85 households in the midst of Boston's
      dense South End neighborhood. Families garden together, gather to
      play and lounge and picnic in their park, and are often treated to
      practice sessions by local cellist Augestine Rodriguez.
      > Such places, argues Community Green, have multiple
      benefits – accessible and safe play spaces for children, community
      building, increased safety and security and property values, and "a
      prime antidote to sprawl by making city living more attractive,
      especially to families with children."
      > What a relief from the helter-skelter jumble of backyard
      spaces, ugly walls and barriers that now divide so many city blocks
      and their people! Progress will require legal shifts to make it
      easier for owners to negotiate a communal open space.
      > Yet such cities as Boston, San Francisco, Baltimore,
      Washington, Chicago and Los Angeles have literally thousands of
      blocks with hollow centers that might renew themselves, notes William
      Drayton in The Atlantic Monthly. Modified shared green plans could
      also be developed for yards of denser suburbs coast to coast.
      > Why not think even more radically? Americans, notes
      Browne, have used zoning to separate things on a horizontal plane --
      residences in specified places, commercial and professional in
      others. But if we want to think a denser future, Paris offers
      a dramatic shift – separate vertically. Parisian apartment houses'
      ground floors are intensely commercial -- bakeries and butcher and
      beauty shops, clinics and travel agencies, real estate offices,
      hairdressers, tea shops.
      > Yet directly above, for up to six stories, live families --
      sometimes the upper crust of French society with magnificent
      apartments. Often families own or rent several units, inhabiting the
      same apartment houses for entire generations, everyone from parents
      with small children to grandparents, in separate units but under a
      single roof. Baby-sitting is virtually automatic. And older folks
      have family support, right there.
      > Plus a touch of independence. If there's a traiteur
      (combined delicatessen-caterer) downstairs or around the block,
      elders can access warm meals without bothering the family. Asks
      Browne"Who needs a retirement home?"
      > So the Parisian formula isn't just hidden greenery. It's
      mixed use; it's abandoning show for true life issues. Density and
      mixed use aren't bad; they're just different-- and sometimes better.

      > - 30 -
      >

      > --
      ### --

      > J.H. Crawford Carfree