4693RE: Plateau Mont-Royal

  • powerwalker
    May 5, 2002
      > >How about Plateau Mont-Royal neighborhoods in Montreal?
      > As it happens, I spent some time as a child in the Town of Mount Royal,
      > a close-in railroad suburb of Montreal and know both McGill and the
      > park somewhat. I'll comment some on this idea.

      Yes. I know Town of Mount Royal, which is also a nice
      place to live carfree, but it's not the same as
      Plateau Mont-Royal neighbourhoods. Anyways, both are
      not that far from each other and neighbourhoods near
      the train station where you mention could also become carfree. I think it
      would be a bit harder though since it's less dense than Plateau.
      The best thing to do is to convert the easiest places first, and then expand
      outwards.

      > This is a basically sound beginning condition.

      As it is presently, lineups build up at the front door of "Apartment For
      Rent" signs, and it's the worst place to choose if you are car-dependant.
      This means places where you can easily live carfree are in demand. Imagine
      what will happen should these neighbourhoods become carfree.

      > The park is the icing on the cake.

      Yup. You don't have to drive our of the city to nature places to escape city
      noise; just climb up the mountain!

      > I agree that this could be an excellent starting point, especially as
      > a large percentage of local residents would probably be strongly in
      > favor and might work actively to implement the change. There is one
      > significant problem that I see--Montreal has some of the worst winter
      > weather of any city in North America. It's much colder than Toronto
      > and gets a lot of snow. I know that some people manage to bike through
      > this winter, but I doubt if there are very many people who are willing
      > to do this. Those living in the area who are now dependent on cars for
      > getting to work are going to resist this change strenuously. Solutions
      > will have to be found for them, which will entail either providing good
      > public transport alternatives or findng a parking place for them on
      > the edge of the carfree area.

      Yes. Improving public transport is always the solution. We should implement
      more trams/buses to ensure a fast link to the metro, hence a fast link to
      the underground network. Once you enter the metro, you don't face bad
      weather until you pop out at your destination station. Or better, if your
      workplace or school is linked to the Underground Network, then you don't see
      bad weather until you're back out of the metro after the day.

      A solution would be to put more year-round bike parking (for hard core
      cyclists), and locker facilities for skis (or skates, scooters...) at the
      concerned metro stations. Once cars are gone, snow could be removed on only
      half of the street (reduce snow removal costs) to allow wheeled devices to
      travel and easy walking, and the other half could keep its natural snow
      cover to allow skiing (faster than walking) as a transportation mode.

      Another solution could be to build a couple more metro stations, and/or
      extending the underground tentacles of existing ones. The ones near Plateau
      only have one or two exits, so they could be improved with several tunnels
      running several blocks, like the ones downtown, hence reducing necessary
      outdoor walking.

      If we can get people to walk no more than 5 minutes outdoor (at worst 10?)
      to the nearest metro entrance, then the problem would be somewhat handled.

      And turn another ugly wide fast artery in the periphery into a parking strip
      for residents and visitors?

      > I seem to recall Parc as a six-lane thoroughfare that was the way
      > we got to downtown when we drove (mostly we took the train). The
      > problem with cutting this is that it's going to affect a lot of
      > people who are just passing through on their way downtown, as
      > Louis-Luc says. This is where the fight will come (and probably
      > also with Des Pins, which I don't recall). It boils down to the
      > right of inner city neighborhoods to be free of all traffic,
      > including that of suburbanites. It will be a real struggle. One
      > possible solution is to get people to park their cars farther out
      > and take the train or metro on into town. Another approach would
      > be a daytime access charge of $5-10 such as is being proposed by
      > Ken Livingstone for London.

      Good ideas. Maybe, in each direction, one lane for a train, one for cars
      with the access charge, and one
      for cycling and/or buses...

      > >Maybe there are better neighborhoods elsewhere around the world, but I
      > >thought it's worth mentioning Plateau Mont-Royal.
      >
      > So, what are you going to do next? As it happens, I think we have
      > several people on this list from Montreal.
      >
      > Good luck!

      Since our mayor showed up in favor of reducing car use, Montrealers on this
      list could gather and present such a project to him and brainstorm about
      solutions.
      Or better: inform the residents about this possibility.

      Louis-Luc
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic