4196Re: [carfree_cities] Segway

  • Doug Salzmann
    Jan 14, 2002
      I asked:

      > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
      > > serving the same stretch?

      And Jym responded:

      >=v= Yeah, it's called the beach.

      Cute. But I'm going to assume that Jym is serious.

      In which case, the obvious question would be, "So, why isn't that
      sufficient for cycling?"

      And the answer would be that ordinarily-equipped bicycles don't operate
      well in sand, and that it would be unreasonable to expect cyclists to pedal
      along the beach for long distances -- the speed is too slow and the
      exertion too great. Likewise, aimless strolling along the beach is
      wonderful recreation, and may even be good exercise for many. However,
      walking in sand for long distances is strenuous, quite difficult for many
      people, and should no more be required or expected of pedestrians than
      riding in sand should be expected of cyclists.

      So, my question of Rick remains:

      > > Is there a similarly-attractive pedestrian-only facility
      > > serving the same stretch?

      -Doug
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic