4193Re: [carfree_cities] Segway

    Jan 14, 2002
      Doug Salzmann wrote:

      > I'm afraid the "if" describes a world that doesn't exist. I walk on shared
      > facilities in the Bay Area daily, and have walked and cycled on such
      > facilities in many other places. Careful, responsible behavior by
      > cyclists, skaters, scooter riders, etc. is so rare as to be a
      > calendar-marking event.
      And by pedestrians. I bicycle occasionally on an ostensibly
      bicycle-only facility on the beach in Los Angeles--my purpose being free
      exercise, people watching, and the presence of the ocean. Pedestrians
      are prohibited from using the facility except to cross it, but of course
      they crowd onto it in hordes, and the cops hardly care. It's one of the
      few places in LA where one can indulge in athletic riding without having
      to watch for cars, but instead one faces crowds of oblivious waddlers
      trudging along three or four abreast, or just standing there, usually,
      by some bizarre preference, in the middle of a blind turn. The path is
      well-posted, but in spite of numerous accidents, no one cares much.
      There's talk of building a separate path for bikes paralleling the first
      one, a pretty ridiculous expense.

      I LOVE walking for transport, in fact presently preferring it to
      bicycing, but when I bike, which I also love, I do so becuase I wish to
      go farther faster while still being engaged in the world. Politeness
      and deference need to exist on all sides.

      Then again, people walk along railroad tracks and are regularly
      macerated by trains here, so I shouldn't expect much. (Somehow they try
      to blame the trains...!)

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic