4123Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable Cities and its International Prize program

  • Eric Britton
    Jan 1, 2002
      For those of us who are serious concerned with advancing the
      sustainability agenda in cities, there is something very interesting
      that is taking shape in Stockholm for the next six months.

      The program in question is the Stockholm Partnerships for Sustainable
      Cities. It is a multi-part event which includes a first class
      interactive web site, an international competition for outstanding
      sustainability projects in cities world wide, and in the first week of
      June in Stockholm an Expo of the best of these projects together with a
      wide-open what you may think of as a conference until you see the way
      they have decided to bring people together to share ideas and learn from
      each other. For more on this, I’d like to invite you to have a look at
      their excellent web site at <http://www.partnerships.stockholm.se/>
      www.partnerships.stockholm.se/.

      My reason for getting in touch with you on this today is to see if you
      can possibly help us get the word out to cities and teams around the
      world that are leading the way with pattern-breaking projects in many
      areas which are helping achieve more sustainable and more socially just
      cities that are healthy and happy places for our children to grow up,
      learn and prosper in. So if you happen to know of projects or teams
      working with concrete projects that may not only be interesting in and
      of themselves in the place where they are being develop, but which also
      may have good potential for low cost replication in other places,
      anything that you can do to begin them into the Stockholm Partnerships
      Cities Innovation Knowledge will be most appreciated. And while we are
      of course interested in the more familiar potential North/South transfer
      possibilities, it is the South/South transfers that are among our
      greatest concerns.

      Why should anybody take the time to add their project to this World
      Knowledge Base of Sustainable Cities Innovations? Well because
      sometimes international acknowledgment can be a big help in generating
      local understanding and support of your concept. And because it is, I
      believe, an interesting learning process in itself, as you look through
      and understand what others are trying to do to break the old patterns of
      unsustainability. And finally, because this database is going to be
      maintained in the future and will certainly provide a valuable resource
      for others who can in this way benefit from your experience. I perhaps
      should add that the Finalists will all be invited to come to Stockholm
      for the June events, and if it is a team from a developing country
      without a budget, the organizers are going to try to find a way to lend
      a hand.

      You may also have other interested people, lists and networks with whom
      you can share this information. And if that would not be too much
      trouble, it would be much appreciated by all of us who are working to
      make this the kind of success of which we are much in need, North and
      South.

      With all good wishes to you and your families for a happy and healthy
      2002,

      Eric Britton

      PS. We are also on the lookout for a certain number of what I think of
      as “Pattern Break Concept Nominations”, ideas that may have been around
      for a number of years but which are still leading the way to
      sustainability in practice and in thinking in many places. Examples of
      the sort of thing I have in mind which stem from the
      traffic/transport/cities side might include:

      * The Dutch Woonerf (1968, Gronigen, The Netherlands)

      * The Swedish <http://www.danderyd.se/soc/fardtjanst.htm>
      Färdtjänst handicapped transport system (also known as STS, Special
      Transport Services) (1968, Gothenburg, Sweden?)

      * Carsharing – as an emerging world movement (multiple origins,
      tracing back to early seventies, with no one behind it other than
      entrepreneurship and good sense)

      * The Danish City Engineer Copenhagen Model in 1968 – “wherever
      you spot a bottleneck in the traffic, make it worse”

      * The Amsterdam White Bicycle and its descendants (Luud
      Schimmelpennink, 1967?)

      Thus if you have either further examples or, better yet, leads as to
      people or groups who are in a good position to make these nominations,
      it would be a great help. Kind thanks in any event.

      The Commons __ technology, economy, society__

      Day phone: +331 4326 1323 Mobile: +336 80 96 78 79

      24 hour Fax/Voicemail hotline: +331 5301 2896

      http://ecoplan.org/ IP Videoconference: 193.251.38.219

      Email: ecoplan.adsl@... URL www.ecoplan.org
      <http://www.ecoplan.org/>