3984RE: [carfree_cities] Great transportation website

  • Wilson, Jeff J
    Nov 29, 2001
      A bit too libertarian for my tastes, but there are a lot of good ideas in
      there. However, the author seems to want to start with trying to get a city
      to adopt an ordinance to only use fees derived from autos and trucks to
      support transportation infrastructure. But it doesn't seem to me that a
      city has enough control over the fees that are or might be charged to car
      users to be able to use them to support all the ways that it currently
      subsidizes car travel (police enforcement, fire department & paramedics for
      traffic accidents, annual maintenance for roads, etc). I don't believe a
      city can charge a gas tax or impose a fee based on emissions during the
      bi-annual inspection (in California). And how does a city start charging
      for road usage? Does it require all out-of-towners to stop at the city
      limits and install a "tag"?

      I'd be interested in a discussion on how to gradually implement these ideas
      on a city, county, or statewide basis. For instance, I believe there is
      already going to be an intiative (in California) to limit the gas tax to be
      used on transit. However, I believe a lot of car lovers would love to, on
      libertarian principles, further limit it to roads only.