3327Re: Municipal Political Structures

  • Mike Lacey
    Jun 1, 2001
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "T. J. wrote:
      > A certain amount of tax-sharing between neighboring cities, for
      example,
      > would help generate revenue to make public transit improvements.

      Regional tax sharing could have another major benefit. It might break
      the trend for each burb-city to create its own edge-of-town-mega-mall
      complex in order to attract those much sought after tax dollars, and
      instead encourage more centralised regional shopping centres, which
      in turn lessens the incentive for sprawl development and the
      associated auto-lifestyle.

      Anyone who knows Orange County, CA (unofficial slogan - "A Macy*s in
      every city") will know what I mean

      Mike
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic