3324Municipal Political Structures

  • Lanyon, Ryan
    Jun 1 6:10 AM
      While the examples may be too specific to relate to the carfree context, I
      think the discussion of how municipal political structures affect our urban
      form is very relevant. Afterall, these are the vehicles through which most
      change will occur to lead to a car-free city. Is such a change easier to
      come by through a large 'mega-city' that has one tier of government, or
      through a two-tiered system or some other structure?

      I'm really unsure of how municipal governments operate in Europe, and what
      powers they possess, but in Canada, urban areas seem to be growing in scope,
      geographic area and some powers.

      > Message: 2
      > Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:44:00 +0000
      > From: "J.H. Crawford" <postmaster@...>
      > Subject: RE: Digest Number 407
      >

      > Hi All,
      >
      > This dicussion seems pretty peripheral to the list.
      > I think those still interested might better take
      > the discussion off-list.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >

      > >Depends on the scope of the amalgamation, I would imagine.
      > In Montreal, the
      > >amalgamated island is pretty much void of any greenfields,
      > isn't it? Any
      > >new development would be considered infill, so the
      > greenfields are still
      > >economically viable in the rural areas.
      > >
      > >In Ottawa, we had so much rural land merged with the urban
      > area that the
      > >small rural municipalities are all about 45 minutes to an
      > hour's drive from
      > >downtown in light traffic. The only area where this jumping
      > effect may work
      > >is in the west end, where we have a larger concentration of suburban
      > >employment. Of course, we do have another urban area on the
      > other side of
      > >the Ottawa River, but different income tax rates reduce competition.

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic