2921Re: [carfree_cities] Bus Lanes

  • philip@aal.cix.co.uk
    Apr 1, 2001
      > Bus lane drivers face 700 more cameras
      > Mayor Ken Livingstone is determined to drive motorists from the
      > capital's 700 bus lanes to speed bus journeys and relieve pressure on
      > the Tube.

      Meanwhile, 200 miles north-northwest:

      From the Manchester Evening News "Motoring" section, 30/3/01:

      "A motorists' chances of being slapped with a parking ticket in beautiful,
      downtown Manchester today are nearly four times higher than two years ago.
      The city - regarded by many drivers as one of the most car-hostile
      in Britain - has handed out an average of 100,000 penalty fines a year for
      illegal parking since a private company took over street patrolling from
      police traffic wardens in 1999.
      Until then yellow-capped wardens wrote out between 25,000 & 30,000
      tickets in an average 12-month period.
      Meanwhile, the nondescript blue-coats of Control Plus, who were
      contracted by Manchester City Council when the system was privatised and
      now provide on-street patrols late into the night, have handed the local
      authority a �1m-a-year windfall.
      That money, says the council, is ringed-fenced for city centre
      road needs........
      A council spokesperson explains: Our priority is to make
      Manchester better for pedestrian, cyclists and non-car users.
      However, in partnership with National Car Parks, the council is
      responding more to motorists' needs by opening two new car parks - with
      620 places at Oxford Road and 720 at the Great Northern, on Deansgate."

      There is no comparison with London's bus lanes. The city of Manchester
      itself has about 3-4 miles of bus lanes. Driving in them is not a problem,
      but parking *is*.
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic