2734RE: [carfree_cities] bicycling facilities

  • Boileau,Pierre [NCR]
    Mar 7, 2001
      Hello Lopamudra,

      Ottawa has many bike lanes and bike patrols. There is a map of these
      bicycle lanes available from the city but I am not sure it is on the
      Internet (perhaps Ryan can help out here). I would suggest that the bicycle
      paths are not the main obstacle to reducing car use and, by association, air
      pollution. My experience, as a commuter cyclist in Ottawa, is that there
      are a select group of active dedicated cyclists in the area, but that people
      who have always used their cars for commuting will continue to do so until
      there is a disincentive to it. Last year we had a spike in gasoline prices
      and I noticed a few more cyclists on the road during that time.
      Unfortunately, the gas prices have come down again and I'm anticipating that
      this year the bicycle paths will be free and clear.

      Also, with that many cars on the road there is real issue of safety for the
      cyclists and 'road-rage' from the motorists. My sense is that a common
      understanding needs to be reached between commuter cyclists and automobile
      commuters through public education. This has been confirmed by my
      observations that in our sister city, Hull, on the other side of the Ottawa
      river, automobile commuters are much more aware of cyclists and don't find
      them a hindrance. This is primarily because of the education efforts
      undertaken by the Quebec government.

      I think the situation in Delhi would be somewhat different than that in
      Ottawa, because vehicle ownership may not be as high. But I believe that a
      strategy which incorporates more bike paths combined with public education
      about the benefits of commuter cycling would be the best route to take.

      Cheers

      Pierre.