209RE: [carfree_cities] Hands across the pacific...

  • Luco
    May 3, 2000
      About winter, I don't envy car drivers at all, not even
      more than during summer. That's true that biking is
      more troublesome, but yes it can be replaced by X-country
      skis, especially if we get rid of cars and if we
      leave the snow on a portion of the street for skiing.
      Snow removal is another issue, but we could imagine
      keeping the small caterpillar sidewalk snow plowers to
      remove snow on the portion of the street reserved for
      walking and winter biking, leaving the snow drift heap
      next to the ski lanes. Therefore there is more space
      to keep the snow and it doesn't have to be carried by
      trucks. AND the snow is WHITE, not brown or dirty gray.

      For the -30*C, I imagine instead of buying expensive
      cars people have enough money to get a *real* winter
      gear, and insulating tuques, mitts or gloves,.... The
      Man has always been able to fight cold weather in
      Canada since Jacques Cartier docked here in 1534, way
      before cars arrived.

      This winter I felt lucky when riding on the train and
      arriving on time co-worker arrived
      1.5 hours later by car because there was a snowstorm.
      I also felt lucky just having to plow the width of a
      man between my balcony and the street, no real need
      for a large snow blower when there's no car.