1832Re: [carfree_cities] Noise

    Nov 4, 2000
      Philip Riggs said:

      >The noises frustrating me most these days are loud car radios and overly
      >loud motorcycles.

      We've got Harleys here that are every bit as noisy as the
      ones in the USA. It's simply inconceivable that this sort
      of public insult is permitted.

      >When the bass of a car system can rattle my windows
      >from 300 feet away it is excessive.

      I'd say it's far beyond excessive. It's an issue here, too.

      >And the high pitch whine of a
      >motorcycle zooming from a stop sign raises my anxiety level. I wish every
      >city in the US would adopt some sort of noise pollution. Has Europe
      >addressed these problems, or are Europeans more conscious of the bother
      >these things cause?

      There is some awareness here, and some steps have been taken.
      Some of the worst offenders here belong to the "motor-scooter"
      class of vehicles, some of them being incredibly loud. The police
      have stepped in here, and the situation is not as bad as it was.

      >I think one of the side benefits of the car is the
      >isolation from the problems they cause. Concern for neighbor has
      >disappeared from America. I laugh when I hear G. Bush's plan for public
      >support of social programs. Nobody cares about the people around them
      >when they are isolated from the problems of the poor, sick, and elderly.

      Yes, I've always said that social issues are at the heart of the
      carfree concept, and that private cars are a major cause of
      social isolation, for a host of reasons.

      ###

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic