1490Re: [carfree_cities] New Directions

    Sep 14, 2000

      Doug said:

      >Well, ten days is a short time, but we have the Internet.
      >How about preparing a press release pointing to the Carfree Day activities
      >in the EU and asking the question Joel poses above? We can circulate it to
      >as many media outlets as possible and try to stimulate some interest.
      >I maintain a list of e-mail addresses for San Francisco area media
      >people. I'll bet we can assemble others for other regions, and for the
      >national media, without too much trouble.
      >My work pile is a little too high to volunteer to write a first draft, but
      >I can help with review and editing if someone will take a shot at it.

      OK, here's a draft. Quick review, please:

      Carfree.com Contact: J.H. Crawford
      14 September 2000 +31 20 638 6057

      September 21 is International Car-Free Day:
      Where is the USA?

      Except for Boulder, Colorado, the USA is observing International
      Carfree Day by ignoring it. While more than 700 cities around the
      globe are observing, even celebrating, International Carfree Day,
      the USA and Canada are studiously ignoring it, even in the face
      of skyrocketing oil prices and grave concerns about energy supplies
      for the coming winter.

      The future for continued automobility on the scale to which we have
      grown accustomed is not rosy. Oil production is not ever going to
      increase substantially above its current very high level, yet demand
      is continuing to rise even in the face of concerns about global
      warming caused by the burning of fossil fuels. We are now at the
      peak of global oil production, or so close to it as not to matter.

      A carfree day gives the public a chance to witness the changes that
      occur in a city when the traffic disappears. The improvement in the
      quality of life that follows heavy urban traffic is a large gain, one
      that more than offsets the loss of convenience of being able to drive
      everywhere. Public transport can easily replace the lost mobility,
      and can do it at social, ecological, and economic costs that are far
      lower than even the current low cost of driving.

      Given that we are eventually going to have to reduce our level of
      driving anyway, the carfree day is a wonderful opportunity to show
      the public the good effects that this will bring. The sooner we
      start making the change to carfree cities, the longer we will have
      to accomplish this difficult task, and the less painful will be the
      economic dislocations that are going to follow the end of cheap oil.

      Why, then, has the USA simply decided not to join International
      Carfree Day?

      For more information on carfree cities, visit http://www.carfree.com/
      See also _Carfree Cities_ by J.H. Crawford (International Books, 2000)

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      postmaster@... Carfree.com
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic