12654When losing parking for a bike lane isn't a losing deal

    Apr 28, 2014
      This article about Montreal’s Blvd. de Maisonneuve shows how planners defused opposition to "losing" curbside parking, by the simple expedient of counting all the parking slots available within 200 meters of the project.

      http://t.co/ezTiUDfohN

      This is something I’ve been bringing up occasionally in Los Angeles…. I’ve done rough surveys of several neighborhoods where a coterie of loudmouths always rants against touching sacrosanct parking spots—while dozens, sometimes hundreds of spots go empty.

      Just yesterday I rode by two of Santa Monica’s parking structures during a peak parking hour—1pm on a sunny Sunday—to see on their signboards that one had 460 empty spaces, and the other 316. This in the heart of a crowded shopping district. (One that is well-served by transit and bike infrastructure far more cheaply than by cars and those giant garages….)

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.SustainableCityNews.com
      http://gridlogisticsinc.com