12445Re: NYT on "No More Industrial Revoutions"

  • eriksandblom
    Nov 19, 2012
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg <rickrise@...> wrote:
      > What do y'all think of Gordon's hypothesis?

      I think peak oil is upon us but I'm not convinced of the energy=growth equation. I think growth is partly dependent on trust and human interactions such as described by Jane Jacobs. A lot of cities are moving to curb car traffic, and the price of suburban real estate appears to be falling. This could be taken as an example of society voluntarily moving away from energy use and toward filling economic growth with other values.

      Predicting the future is notoriously difficult. The past is not always a reliable predictor, which Gordon's graphs clearly illustrate.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic