12431large data visualization applied to transport

  • catecara
    Oct 23 8:51 AM
      Hi all,

      I would like to have your feedback about an idea for a possible case
      study for a project that we have just started thinking of (this is the
      early stage of project proposal-making).

      The project is about reasearch in the area of visual analytics, i.e.
      visualization of large scale datasets (from terabyte up). At this
      point we have identified a few use cases -- applications where
      appropriate visualization of big data makes the difference (and it is
      difficult to achieve).

      My Big question is: does it make sense to think of a use case in the
      area of transport? (I am being general here: any type of
      transportation means in any combination, over any distance, or
      timeline).

      Implied questions:

      - Is there big data about traffic, transports and the like available?
      My feeling is that if such data is available, good
      processing/visualization could help understing traffic fluxes, and
      improve optimization.

      - is somebody working on this or related issues already? transport
      companies, reasearch institutes, ... ?

      I hope I described the situation clearly, if you have question please
      just ask. Many thanks in advance!

      Best
      Caterina
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic