12299Re: [carfree_cities] Re: NYT's Friedman: "take the Subway"

  • bruun@seas.upenn.edu
    Mar 6, 2012
      Hello everyone

      The racism explanation doesn't get to the core of the problem of
      people wanting to maintain their separation from people they see as
      different than themselves.

      My experience with most people in the US, and the vast majority of
      people who consider themselves conservatives, is that they don't read
      too much recent history, virtually no economics or social sciences,
      and barely even know anything about the US history of legal
      segregation. So they believe what they hear about the US being a
      meritocracy, about how it is the land of opportunity, about how in the
      US markets function very well, how do-gooder governments only make
      things worse by coddling lazy people, etc.

      So, since the market is not to blame and everyone has an equal chance,
      the explanation must lie elsewhere. That explanation then has to be
      either cultural or genetic, that is, that certain subsections of the
      population have only themselves to blame. Thus, it is racism by
      default, not the overt segregation and overt teaching of racist ideas
      like 50+ years ago.

      That might explain a lot of the conservative attitude towards public
      transport, but what is the excuse of so many liberals? They talk the
      talk, but don't walk the walk (or ride the ride).

      Eric Bruun