12218Re: video

  • chbuckeye
    Dec 16, 2011
      I had a car-bound friend watch the video and he thought it was a bit preachy, and so missed the message I think. So many Americans have zero experience with anything other than a car-bound suburban existence. Even Chicago and NYC are full of cars, and many visitors would rather take a familiar, even if slow, cab than venture down into the mysterious "subway" or take a bus (generally considered the mode of transport for the poor only).

      I thought your narration was fine, and even improved in the more recent version.

      Perhaps we need more videos of how an ordinary life is changed in a carfee neighborhood. We need to demonstrate that a place without cars really is a more pleasant place to be!

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > As I think I have said, I have given up writing
      > books, as nobody seems to read them any more.
      > It seems to me that video stands a chance of
      > really spreading the carfree word, and this is
      > where I intend to focus for a year or longer.
      > (I also like doing it, which helps.)
      >
      > The latest (and only slightly revised) version
      > of Occupy All Streets is on YouTube and can now
      > be viewed in full 1080p HD as well.
      >
      > http://www.youtube.com/user/CarfreeCities?feature=mhee#p/u/0/CDJJ-O-rUh4
      >
      > I would like to initiate a discussion here of
      > how the video can be improved. The symptom
      > of the need for improvement is that on Vimeo,
      > the video has had:
      >
      > 3,431 loads (people who saw the embed by never pressed Play)
      > 779 plays
      > 98 finishes
      > 5 Likes
      >
      > (The number of plays on YouTube is too small to consider.)
      >
      > What seems to be happening is that only about
      > 10% of the people who start watching the video
      > stay with it to the end. This suggests that
      > something about it is driving them away. Maybe
      > it's just that they don't like the message,
      > and maybe they don't like the video.
      >
      > A few of us have been discussing this, and there
      > is a considerable variety of opinion. The two
      > main issues:
      >
      > 1) Should I continue to narrate this, possibly
      > with some professional coaching, or is it
      > essential to bring in a professional narrator?
      > What, specifically, is wrong with the narration?
      > It has been called:
      >
      > stilted
      > sounding read, not spoken
      > rushed
      >
      > I grant that my early attempts at narration were
      > awful, but many people think it has improved a
      > good deal since then. I would do practically
      > anything to avoid having to bring in a narrator,
      > as it would severely cramp my style, to say
      > nothing of the zero budget for this work.
      >
      > 2) Should the structure of the film be changed?
      > Now it begins with a long litany of all that's
      > wrong with cars and then moves on to the carfree
      > solution. It came up in conversation today that
      > maybe the film should START with the solution
      > and only then move on to the detailed reasons
      > that we need the carfree solution.
      >
      > What opinions do you have? There may, of course,
      > be other issues than these two.
      >
      > Thanks for your ideas and support.
      >
      > Best regards,
      >
      > Joel