11847Re: [carfree_cities] carfree phone app

  • Mark Lobjoit
    Jul 3, 2010
      Here are a couple of UK web site examples that I know of and have
      successfully used for route planning.

      http://www.transportdirect.info/ does a pretty good job for journeys within
      the United Kingdom. The CO2 emissions are also calculated for journeys
      within cities so you can compare train/bus/tube/walk combinations vs. car.

      Example:
      CO2 emissions calculator
      Full Itinerary for Sun 04 Jul 10 leaving after 07:55
      FromToLeaveArriveDurationAberdeen AirportExeter International Airp...14:31
      07:14
      (05/07)16hr 43 minsTravelling by: Bus, Train, Underground, Walk
      CO2 emissions for your journey of 664.7 milesDistance Units miles km
      The graph below may be difficult for screenreader users. We recommend that
      you select the Show table view link to see the data in a table.
      Your journey
      [image: Emissions bar chart]
      62.6 kg
      For comparision if you travelled 664.7 miles by:
      Small Car only[image: Small car icon with emissions]
      [image: Emissions bar chart]
      136.4 kg
      with 1 2 3 4 5 occupant(s)Large Car only[image: Large car icon
      with emissions]
      [image: Emissions bar chart]
      275.3 kg
      with 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 occupant(s)Train only[image: Train icon with
      emissions]
      [image: Emissions bar chart]
      61.7 kg
      Coach only[image: Coach icon with emissions]
      [image: Emissions bar chart]
      32.1 kg
      Plane only[image: Plane icon with emissions]
      [image: Emissions bar chart]
      182.9 kg
      Low
      Medium
      High
      v.High
      0
      kg of CO2 per traveller
      276

      Your journey would create 212.7 kg of CO2 less per traveller than travelling
      by large car.

      http://walkit.com/cities/?welcome has good planning tools for walking a
      number of UK cities:

      Example: Putney to Stoke Newington (both in London, about 10 miles)

      http://tinyurl.com/2u6rzmj

      http://walkit.com/walk/?city=london&from=Putney&fuid=457406_505460&to=Stoke+Newington&tuid=434855_459983&rta=old&direct=0