11748Re: Riding the bus changes her view

  • Brian Yourish
    Mar 5, 2010
      "Obviously, taking public transit isn't always practical (for grocery shopping, for example)."

      Lots of people take public transit to do their grocery shopping. It's nicer to be able to walk to the grocery store, but in lieu of that, if you don't own a car, then you take transit. Preparation is the key. Folks who live without a car have a certain infrastructure set up, such as owning a small shopping cart that is relatively easy to bring onto a bus, the subway, etc.

      -Brian

      Re: Riding the bus  changes her view
      Posted by: "Steve Atlas" steveatlas45@...   steveatlas45
      Wed Mar 3, 2010 9:23 am (PST)

      I enjoyed the article. It was great because it showed how a reluctant transit rider learned to appreciate riding the bus.

      One thought: we need to think about why taking the bus makes sense, even for those of us who still drive. On March 1, I celebrated my 65th birthday (actually on Feb. 22) by buying a monthly transit pass for Baltimore's MTA buses (40 cents extra for express buses), subway and light rail. Many transit systems offer reduced fares to people 65 and older. In Baltimore, a senior monthly pass cost $16.50, and a one-day pass costs $1.20 for unlimited travel for that day.

      Monday, I took my local bus to a shopping mall where parking has always been a problem. And, when I got off the bus, I didn't even go to the mall. Instead, as a pedestrian, I discovered a used book store (that also has writing groups, open mikes, and other activities) and a used record and CD store. I would never have found these places in the car, because--as a driver--my goal was simply to find parking at the mall and go there.
      I recommend the bus as a means to discover places you would overlook in the car, and also to eliminate parking hassles.

      I don't know about you, but here in Baltimore, parking at a train station can be expensive--and you may not always find a parking space. This morning, I walked to my corner. For just $.40 (+ my bus pass), I had a pleasant ride to the train station--and enjoyed a good walk too.

      Obviously, taking public transit isn't always practical (for grocery shopping, for example). But, if you take public transportation, you too can save money and parking hassles. And who knows what interesting shops, parks, or other attractions you can discover.

      At the same time, you are reducing your gasoline and car maintenance costs, and helping to protect our environment for our children and grandchildren.

      Steve

       Steve Atlas
      Author of Car Free at the Beach, the monthly "Car Free Journey" column,
      and other articles and reports spotlighting alternatives to driving and ways to reduce our dependency on automobiles

      http://carfreeameri ca.com;
      http://steveatlas45 @...;
      (410) 637-5945, or (410) 236-1909
      8121 Conduit Road