11413Re: Bill McKibben: Obama says, "Make me do it"

  • chbuckeye
    Jun 29, 2009
      Joel,

      I think Bill might be right. As to how we do it, I'm not certain. Here are some suggestions.

      I suspect that the way to do it might be to have as many constituents as possible repeatedly write, call, fax, email, etc. their Congressional representatives in favor of specific positions. (I don't think non-US citizens can have much influence here.) That would eventually force our representatives in Congress to follow President Obama's lead.

      What issues would motivate large numbers of people across the country to do that? Those of us interested in carfree cities are probably most interested in transportation issues, something that would make it easier to create carfree cities. The US public generally has no experience with living in a carfree environment, so for now we need to find an issue that would make carfree living easier and more likely. Funding for mass transit projects comes to mind as the most likely to make the cut.

      Can anyone come up with a concise pitch for mass transit funding given the current economy? Something that we could format to submit to our state and federal Senators and Representatives, and to our local newspapers, and also to the different blogs and other websites that we each visit.

      Other than pushing for increased funding for mass transit, are there more specific projects that we should be more vocally backing?

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > See the short YouTube video embedded here:
      >
      > http://www.commondreams.org/video/2009/06/26-1
      >
      > McKibben thinks that Obama is having a Roosevelt
      > moment: "You've convinced me that you're right.
      > Now make me do it."
      >
      > Obama needs a grass-roots movement to pressure
      > him to take real climate change measures.
      >
      > So, how are we going to do that?
      >
      > Best,
      >
      > Joel
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic