11411Re: [carfree_cities] Bill McKibben: Obama says, "Make me do it"

  • Jason Meggs
    Jun 27, 2009
      Want a New Deal approach that sets a course for sustainability and success?
      Create a major public works campaign to obviate the use of petroleum,
      including asphalt and solid concrete roads, for all transport needs:

      There need to be requirements that all transport funding go exclusively to
      petroleum-free modes. E.g., electrified transit and non-motorized transport.

      Combine that with a moratorium on new asphalt, and a directive to phase-out
      asphalt and solid concrete roads (in preference for permeable, more
      permanent, low-weight path/road provision).

      That would go far...

      Presently the whole system is rigged to continue expanding the highway
      system (for cars).

      The existing roadway system cannot be maintained (it's failing faster than
      it can be rebuilt, depends on petroleum and is designed for petroleum-based
      transport, and costs of maintenance are escalating) and thus it's not only
      prudent, it's vitally important to stop trying.