11361Re: Two takes on "green" cars

  • Matt Hohmeister
    May 5, 2009
      My sister and brother-in-law--both American--have two dogs that bark very little. I guess you just have to know how to care for these very attention-hungry animals.

      > In Amsterdam I almost never had a problem with this despite
      > being surrounded by hundreds of families with doubtless
      > dozens of dogs. The only regular offender was... an American
      > family. They denied that their dog barked.

      I've noticed that cheap power tools tend to make a LOT more noise than their better-made counterparts. Anyone who's ever used a direct-drive air compressor vs. a belt-driven compressor has noticed this.

      I've heard proposals to regulate noise to 70 dB, measured at the property line, exception for burglar/fire/flood/temperature/etc alarms. A typical electric leaf blower is this loud at 50', ruling them out for use in most areas of a carfree city.

      > This can be objectionable. In the new book I have called
      > for limits on tools and noise levels. (Some tools are
      > MUCH quieter than others.) This is a reason to concentrate
      > all construction activities in a short period.
      > BTW--I have been building a deck recently, and I have been
      > doing all the sawing by hand. With a sharp saw, it's nowhere
      > near as difficult as you might think. Of course, where to
      > get a saw sharpened these days is another matter.
      > Best,
      > Joel
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic