11357Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Two takes on "green" cars

    May 3, 2009
      Re:

      >- Dogs. Many residents leave their dogs outside while at work or sleeping, and they bark for hours on end. I'm wondering how carfree cities would handle this--I sure wouldn't want to live in a row house next to someone like this.

      In Amsterdam I almost never had a problem with this despite
      being surrounded by hundreds of families with doubtless
      dozens of dogs. The only regular offender was... an American
      family. They denied that their dog barked.

      >- Electric tools. Air compressors and circular saws make enough noise that your neighbors will know what you're doing, but these noises are generally in short bursts and have never bothered me. Again, not a problem. Is there any easy way to contain electric tool noise from a construction site in a carfree area?

      This can be objectionable. In the new book I have called
      for limits on tools and noise levels. (Some tools are
      MUCH quieter than others.) This is a reason to concentrate
      all construction activities in a short period.

      BTW--I have been building a deck recently, and I have been
      doing all the sawing by hand. With a sharp saw, it's nowhere
      near as difficult as you might think. Of course, where to
      get a saw sharpened these days is another matter.

      Best,

      Joel