11349Re: [carfree_cities] Two takes on "green" cars

  • Jason Meggs
    Apr 30, 2009
      Incidentally, noise pollution from vehicles contributes to many health harms
      including preventable mortality.

      In sum the social, health and economic costs are enormous.

      Hearing damage for drivers and those exposed (e.g., those who walk and
      bicycle near traffic) is only one of the harms.

      As for bicycles being silent, bells and the voice both work if the rider is
      attentive. A noisemaker in the spokes is also viable. Personally, laws
      requiring noisemakers on bikes would be an all-around bad idea. Better to
      address the occasional reckless cyclist in other ways.

      Diesels need to be replaced with electrification, which reduces harmful
      noise as well. Petroleum is too valuable, and too harmful, to be wasted on
      transportation anyway. Electrification does not eliminate noise but warning
      devices may be important there as well, although a different case from
      silent cars.

      Jason