11097Re: [carfree_cities] Re: recycling big-box stores

  • Brian Labadie
    Nov 17, 2008
      This is all very interesting and a great investigation into the reuse of
      unlikely structures, however, when considering this from a carfree
      perspective, the feasability depends on the location of the subject "big
      box".

      If the location is removed from public transport and in a low density
      suburban setting (and that is usually the case with these type of
      developments), why encourage the reuse of it? People would still have to
      drive to the location, defeating its purpose.

      This is obviously a designer's dream as there are infinite possibilities,
      but this issue we're facing needs to be looked at on a macro level. Let the
      market take it's course and not try to reinvent something that was flawed in
      the preliminary planning stages. The best use I can see with an abandoned
      big box is reusing the building materials for a quality infill development
      in a dense, urban area and giving the land back to nature.

      Brian