11069Re: Study shows traffic fatalities increase on election days

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Oct 1 9:29 PM
      I find this as very little surprise. If you drive 30 miles per day and
      the polls are a 3-mile round trip, that's a 10% increase over what you
      normally do. Since the polling station is typically an annual visit
      (or less for many Americans), you're likely unfamiliar with the area,
      and possibly driving with a Web map printout in your hand.

      Likewise, non-auto-centric cities probably see slight increases in
      pedestrian and mass transit traffic on election days (NYC?).

      Something else I've thought about for a while: I have a feeling that,
      in the USA, it would practically be public-perception suicide for the
      police or sheriff to do any sort of traffic enforcement on election
      day. Here, there's nearly zero traffic enforcement in the first place,
      but if an unlicensed or reckless driver was arrested on election day,
      the local media could have a field day over the police/sheriff denying
      someone the opportunity to vote because they were in booking/jail over
      something as "petty" as unlicensed or reckless driving.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Miller
      <christophermiller@...> wrote:
      > An interesting study reported on by CBC today:
      > http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2008/09/30/elex-driving.html
      > Driving deaths spike on election days
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic