11065Mobilien: Paris' Version of Bus Rapid Transit

  • Eric Britton
    Sep 29, 2008
      Latest from StreetFilms at http://www.streetfilms.org/archives/mobilien/

      Text introduction:

      Le Mobilien is Paris' version of what we know as a bus rapid transit system
      or a surface mass transport network. Paris has been doing "bus rapid
      transit" for decades, and after years of on-street operation and continuous
      fine-tuning they have now developed a system which they call the "Mobilien"
      - French for MOBI-lity plus "LIEN" which means link. Linking mobility.

      Unlike the BRTs that most US cities are looking at, the Mobilien adapts to
      different city contexts (i.e. street width and specific neighborhood
      dynamics). Mobilien doesn't aim at producing top speeds but making steady
      progress through the traffic stream. It launched in Paris after three
      years of planning in 2004 with the goal of cutting down on car traffic. To
      make the project possible, Paris' officials eliminated much on-street
      parking to create dedicated bus lanes that are shared with bicycles, taxis
      and emergency vehicles.

      Eric Britton from the new Mobility Agenda took me on a tour of Mobilien

      Comments welcome via NewMobilityCafe@yahoogroups.com