10972Re: Temporarily Carfree Portland

  • Karen Sandness
    Jul 2, 2008
      I may have mentioned this here before, but a few years ago, I was
      walking around in Tokyo when I came across a side street that was
      blocked off with a sawhorse and a sign saying that the residents had
      declared it a car-free zone. I don't know how long the sign had been
      up or how long it remained up after that (I was on my way to an
      appointment and couldn't stop and chat with the residents), but given
      the width of the street and the number of little shops along it, I can
      see why cars would have been unwelcome.

      In transit,
      Karen Sandness
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic