10963Ride the City bike route finder for NYC

  • Christopher Miller
    Jun 27, 2008
      From the Coolhunting blog today, June 26:

      Ride the City
      by Doug Black, 27 June 2008

      To those who enjoy their status as breathing, sentient beings, riding
      a bicycle in New York City can be daunting. Aggressive taxis, delivery
      trucks and carelessly opened doors create a minefield that makes
      casual cyclists want to hang up their Schwinn. But New York can be
      safely navigated. Though it's painfully inferior to European cities,
      it does have a growing network of relatively safe bike lanes (thanks
      largely in part to Mayor Bloomberg). Ride the City, currently in beta
      form, is a site launched earlier this month to help aid the process.

      Much like Google Maps or HopStop, Ride the City takes two addresses
      and details the shortest route between them. But unlike the
      aforementioned sites, it zeroes in on existing bicycle lanes and
      ignores inhospitable roads like the Queens Midtown tunnel or the BQE.
      Users can choose between the most direct route, the "safe route" (as
      many bike lanes as are convenient) and the "safest route" (more bike
      lanes, especially designated "greenways"). RTC adds "caution" signs as
      well when the route traverses portions that have a history of accidents.

      I used the site to map out a ride to work, and it was remarkably close
      to the route I've painstakingly devised over numerous trips back and
      forth. It did, however, faithfully abide by the direction of traffic
      on a couple portions where I usually go against the tide. Which isn't
      a bad thing. It's comforting to know that the site treasures my well-
      being even more than I do.

      (Link to Ride the City:)
      http://www.ridethecity.com/index.php

      Christopher Miller