10953"High oil price stops globalisation" WELT-article mentions WCN`s AGM // Re: [wcn_media] mass transit in LA gets record high ridership

  • Erik Sandblom
    Jun 22, 2008
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Markus Heller" <heller@...>

      > I think, for Germans this article is very surprising, because
      nobody expects
      > from the publisher (Springer company, right wing) such an article,
      which is
      > so critical with globalization.
      > Especially for us carfree people it is surprising, because Springer
      attacked
      > WCN last summer.
      >
      > http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article2128654/
      Hoher_Oelpreis_stoppt_die_Globalisierung.html

      What a lovely article! The only thing I disagree with is that
      globalization requires fossil fuels. We are globalising right on this
      email list, sending emails all over the globe. The shipping boss says
      their boats are going at half power and saving lots of fuel. (But
      still going faster than half speed, I bet). They have even done tests
      with kites which can reduce fuel consumption by 50%.
      http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/01/beluga_shipping.html

      The right wing is moving quite quickly on many green issues and on
      peak oil. Last year the Murdoch newspapers started publishing
      favorable articles about bicycling, notably in the Times (London). I
      think a lot of people in the fossil industry just wanted to squeeze
      every last drop out of an unsustainable lifestyle on the way out. But
      at a certain point even the silliest people will realise that you
      will be considered a clown by the public unless you move on.

      Erik Sandblom
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic