      From: dubluth <dubluth@...>
      To: carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 11:36:19 PM
      Subject: [carfree_cities] Re: something to watch out for

      I've seen such "outbursts". Some people take the availability of
      places to store their cars and trucks (without having to cover the
      cost) very personally. They miss (and might take pains to avoid
      seeing) the fact that supplying parking costs and that not just
      wealthy empty-nesters pay those costs.

      If a builder must supply just one stall per housing unit at a cost of
      say $30,000 per stall, the builder will build larger more expensive
      housing units unless customers actually value parking stalls that
      highly. The observed effect of parking requirements on housing supply
      and prices suggests that the cost of supplying parking exceeds its
      value to those affected housing residents.

      Unlike the examples I've seen, Tottenhamers might actually value
      parking enough to pay its costs. If so, that should provide a profit
      opportunity for someone willing to provide parking nearby, provided
      available land exists. A builder would risk including too little or
      too much parking, if not for the input of zoning rules or design
      hearings. Government mandates have eliminated the risk of too little
      parking.

      Bill