10682Re: [carfree_cities] something to watch out for

  • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
    Jan 16, 2008
      Hi,

      I am curious about the make-up - in regards to jobs of residents - in
      other carfree developments. Does anyone have any concrete information?

      How do the various tradespeople described do their jobs in those places,
      both when they are based inside them or come from the outside?

      It seems like there are other problems with this place, such as
      inadequate public transport, so is the problem that this is a carfree
      building rather than a carfree urban development plan?

      In addition to answering these questions for ourselves, it would be
      great to provide answers to the media, and so on (maybe someone from the
      World Carfree Network Steering Committee who is based in England?)

      Thanks,

      J.H. Crawford wrote:

      > http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/tottenhamjournal/news/story.aspx?brand=TWGJOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newstwgj&itemid=WeED16%20Jan%202008%2011%3A44%3A12%3A177
      > <http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/content/haringey/tottenhamjournal/news/story.aspx?brand=TWGJOnline&category=news&tBrand=northlondon24&tCategory=newstwgj&itemid=WeED16%20Jan%202008%2011%3A44%3A12%3A177>
      >
      > 'No place for working class' in car-free new homes
      >
      > nlnews@... <mailto:nlnews%40archant.co.uk>
      >
      > WORKING class people are being squeezed out of Tottenham by new
      > car-free developments, which could turn the area into a "Little
      > Islington".
      >
      > The accusation came from Councillor Ray Dodds, deputy chairman of
      > Haringey Council's planning committee, who said you are "not allowed"
      > to live in new "car-free" or "almost car-free" developments "unless
      > you are nice and middle class, and carry a pen in your top pocket" in
      > place of using a vehicle.
      >
      > The Labour councillor for Bruce Grove ward said car-free developments
      > "are now being seen as a way to keep working class people out of
      > housing" as many people's livelihoods depend on vehicles, from
      > electricians and plumbers to taxi drivers and mobile mechanics.
      >
      > His outburst came as the committee debated an application for a
      > five-storey block of 27 flats and houses in Tottenham High Road last
      > week, which offered just five parking spaces - one of a steady stream
      > of similar applications in the area.
      >
      > Residents objecting to the plan on the site, at the junction of High
      > Road and Hampden Lane in the Spurs match day controlled parking zone
      > (CPZ), said their lives would get even worse if parking pressures
      > increased.
      >
      > One objector from the clogged, narrow Hampden Lane said she had a
      > traffic cone thrown through her front window in December after taking
      > a parking space that a neighbour believed to be "theirs".
      >
      > The application, for a former furniture salesroom, included four
      > five-bedroom homes, one four-bedroom home, three three-bedroom homes,
      > nine two-bedroom and 10 one-bedroom homes, plus commercial space on
      > the ground floor.
      >
      > Councillor Dodds called for planning policy to be changed from a
      > "very, very middle class concept" so it stops "excluding a large
      > number of people".
      >
      > He added: "I understand why people think, 'Use a bus', but I defy you
      > to be a plumber, electrician, or anything like that, and use public
      > transport.
      >
      > "If you're excluded from having parking permits then you're saying,
      > 'Right, no more working class people in Tottenham, let's move them all
      > out, let's make it Little Islington', and I for one don't want to live
      > in Little Islington."
      >
      > Joyce Rosser, of the conservation area advisory committee, added the
      > "desperate overcrowding on the current buses" and the building's
> [...]

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunni 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      Skype: toddedelman
      ++420 605 915 970
      ++420 222 517 832

      edelman@...
      http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
      www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

      Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
      www.worldcarfree.net
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic