10598ICLEI Member City Malmö, Sweden buildin g a green future

  • Todd Edelman, Green Idea Factory
    Nov 29, 2007
      In 2008, half of the Earth’s population will live in urban areas, marking for the first time in history that humans are
      an urban species. A new publication from the Worldwatch Institute, State of the World 2007: Our Urban Future", explores
      the many ways in which urbanisation is affecting our lives and the global environment. It especially focuses on the
      ideas that can make our cities environmentally sustainable and healthier places to live.

      ICLEI member city Malmö is mentioned in the publication as a model city for building a green future. The case study of
      Sweden’s third largest city shows how a densely populated city can be combined with ambitious environmental targets and
      sustainability. The study focuses, in particular, on the development into an urban area of Västra Hamnen (the Western
      harbour). Previously a harbour, shipyard and industrial area, now a new modern city district, with housing, offices,
      shops and local services is emerging. Västra Hamnen’s focus on biodiversity, recycling, 100% locally renewable energy
      sources and environmentally sound transport has made it into an international leading example of a densely populated,
      environmentally sound neighbourhood.

      For more information on the development of Västra Hamnen: http://www.malmo.se/servicemeny/cityofmalmo

      ***

      The proceeding is from:

      ICLEI in Europe News
      November 2007

      To download an electronic copy of this newsletter, go to:
      http://www.iclei-europe.org/fileadmin/template/iclei/ICLEI_IS/files/Newsletter/ICLEI_in_Europe_News_November_2007.pdf

      Todd Edelman
      Director
      Green Idea Factory

      Korunni 72
      CZ-10100 Praha 10
      Czech Republic

      Skype: toddedelman
      ++420 605 915 970
      ++420 222 517 832

      edelman@...
      http://greenideafactory.blogspot.com/
      www.flickr.com/photos/edelman

      Green Idea Factory is a member of World Carfree Network
      www.worldcarfree.net