10553Re: Transit pass - Best Weapon Against Climate Change?

  • dubluth
    Oct 28, 2007
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "ktsourl" <ktsou@...> wrote:

      > Bovines and other methane producing animals
      > and natural procedures have been around for
      > million years, even before the
      > apparition of the human species

      "The visionary engineer Paul MacCready has made an arresting
      calculation: Ten thousand years ago, human beings (plus their domestic
      animals) accounted for less than a tenth of 1 percent (by weight) of
      all vertebrate life on land and in the air, Back then, we were just
      another mammalian species, and not a particularly populous one (he
      estimates eighty million people worldwide). Today, that percentage,
      including livestock and pets, is in the neighborhood of 98!"

      Currently our pets and livestock outweigh us about 3 to 1.

      Daniel C. Dennett in 2006 refering to a chapter "The Case for Battery
      Electric Vehicles" in _The Hydrogen Energy Transition_.
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic