10539Re: Transit pass - Best Weapon Against Climate Change?

  • ktsourl
    Oct 22, 2007
      I have never understood how someone can compare methane emissions from
      animals with the carbon emissions from fossil fuels. The former
      belongs to the carbon cycle part between atmosphere and biosphere,
      which has a recycle time of few months or years, the latter to the
      carbon cycle between biosphere and atmosphere on one side and the
      underground carbon deposits on the other side, which has a recycle
      time of million years. Bovines and other methane producing animals and
      natural procedures have been around for million years, even before the
      apparition of the human species, without serious threats for the
      climate stability. The problem with fossil fuels is that natural
      procedures will require million of years using sun energy to remove
      what is extracted in few hundred years back in the underground carbon
      deposits.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Todd Binkley <todd_binkley@...>
      wrote:

      > An editorial in yesterday's LA Times claims that the methane and
      > nitrous oxide produced (worldwide) by cattle, coupled with the
      > pollution associated with producing their feed, and clearing forests
      > for them to graze combines to create more greenhouse gases than all
      > the planes trains and automobiles on the planet. Therefore a
      > westerner could do more for climate change by eliminating beef from
      > their diet than giving up their car. Can anyone document or refute
      > any of their assertions?
      >
      > http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-ed-
      > methane15oct15,1,848859.story
      >
      > Killer cow emissions
      >
      > Livestock are a leading source of greenhouse gases. Why isn't anyone
      > raising a stink?

    • Show all 18 messages in this topic