10491Re: the freedom to walk at night

  • Erik Sandblom
    Oct 1, 2007
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, sidneyfalco@... wrote:

      > In Marseille, France, where I live, there is no freedom to walk
      > at night. Indeed, there is no freedom to walk at at any time,
      > night or day. In Marseille, cars and motorbikes park on
      > sidewalks, and the motorbikes are routinely driven on sidewalks
      > whenever and wherever cars impede their progress in the streets.
      > In this respect, Marseille is a Third World city, overcrowded
      > with motorized vehicles and without a semblance of pedestrian
      > rights. Check it out.

      A new tram network is being built in Marseille, France, which when
      completed in 2011 will consist of three tram lines. The first phase
      opened on June 30, 2007. It is part of an urban renewal project which
      aims to reduce car use and favour pedestrians, bicyclists and public
      transit users.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramway_de_Marseille

      Could you tell us your impressions of this?

      Erik Sandblom
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic