10440affordable carfree areas

  • Debra Efroymson
    Sep 13, 2007
      In Asia also, I have walked through some lovely
      neighborhoods of narrow lanes, particularly in Dhaka
      and Kathmandu, no cars, very colorful and vivid street
      life, vendors with bicycle carts, kids playing in the
      streets, very quiet (the occasional motorbike hardly
      compensates for constant honking!). They are indeed
      low-income neighborhoods, and I doubt the residents
      realize how lucky they are (poor ventilation,
      crowding, etc. etc.).

      In Dhaka we chose a lower income neighborhood to live
      in; directly across the main street the rents are
      higher, the streets wider, the cars far more abundant,
      and thus the noise that much worse. There are still
      cars where we live, and as a result the only people I
      know are not the residents of the buildings but the
      guards, vendors, students, and beggars.

      The problem, again, is that nobody in these
      neighborhoods seems to see carfree as a good
      thing...yet anyway...so it seems there are two angles
      to approach, highlighting the advantages of already
      carfree areas, and making them widespread enough that
      the rents can't always be atrociously high when people
      DO realize the benefits. ??

      Anima