10434Re: Cheaper to drive their cars to work than take public transport

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Sep 11, 2007
      I think we can all think of examples of situations where bureaucracy,
      stubbornness, or existing policy forces or encourages inefficiency...

      - Malls with too many parking spaces because of local ordinances.
      Chances are the owner would be happy to develop the land to a higher
      FAR, but that's illegal.

      - Suburban homes much more affordable than urban homes. Since most
      cities won't allow any new non-sprawl development, the supply of urban
      homes is kept artificially low, sending prices through the roof. Of
      course, the city's blowing all their budget on six-laning I-10 and
      US-231 doesn't help either.

      That brings up an interesting point with carfree cities. Does anyone
      out there know of a carfree area in an at least midsized city (over
      100k) that has reasonable property values? One objection I've heard to
      carfree/urban living is that it would turn into NYC--not affordable
      unless you live in a very small space.

      As a reference point, Tallahassee's population is 159k (337k MSA), and
      we're paying $1050 monthly for 1800 square feet, a few blocks from
      downtown.

      Cheers,

      matt

      wrote:

      > Once again, truth is stranger than fiction. Kafka could never
      > have come up with this.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic