10319Re: Plug-in hybrid cars?

  • dawie_coetzee
    Jul 2, 2007
      Keep in mind that windows and doors needn't be replaced to improve
      their performance dramatically. Depending on the design, single-
      glazed timber windows can often be converted to double-glazing by
      cutting out reveal profiles and substituting glazing beads.
      Similarly, reliefs can be cut to accommodate widely-available
      synthetic sealing profiles. That way there is less wastage of
      resources (perhaps rare hardwoods), and the money goes to local
      skilled labour rather than to centralized heavy industry.

      I'm worried about the emerging big-business/eco-authoritarian
      approach that would foist new, mass-produced "approved" windows and
      doors on us, when the same immediate result can be achieved by
      gentler means whose systemic repercussions render them far more
      sustainable in the long run.

      -D

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Hohmeister"
      <mdh6214@...> wrote:

      > My house is anything but "green": it was built in 1951 and has the
      original windows and
      > outside doors. Fortunately, the biggest energy user (HVAC) was
      installed in 1995, so it's not a
      > noisemaking energy hog.
      >
      > If I weren't renting the house, there are a handful of energy-
      saving tricks up a homeowner's
      > sleeve: insulate the subfloor, new doors and windows, etc.
      >
      > It seems that "energy efficient" buildings are actually "energy
      elsewhere" buildings. The
      > building owner can develop on cheap land in a distant suburb,
      receive massive subsidies for
      > building a so-called "green" building, get a free ad on page 1A of
      the local newspaper, and
      > the building's true energy cost is passed to
      employees/customers/visitors, who have to pay
      > their own way out there.

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic