10275Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Fuel-Sipping Trains

    Jun 17, 2007
      On Jun 17, 2007, at 8:40 PM, Matt Hohmeister wrote:

      > Actually, this brings up a question I've been wondering for some
      > time. In an era of dwindling
      > oil supplies, are we better off with jets or ships? 747 or QM2? Or
      > is there another solution?
      > Anybody?

      Ships do not have to be powered by oil or coal. Highly refined
      sailing vessels with solar auxiliary power for days of calms and for
      harbor maneuvering can move considerable tonnage and numbers of
      passengers. However, it is obvious that if we are serious about
      sustainability, we will have to accept that international trade and
      travel will be slower and more expensive. (Although someone, upon my
      telling them this, suggested that sail transport labor costs could be
      lowered by using crews of slaves...I hope they were kidding.)

      And no, I don't think nuclear-powered ships are the answer!

      http://tinyurl.com/25u5bt

      Rick
      http://www.bicyclefixation.com
      http://www.newcolonist.com